Integral evolutionary resources
The community of integral evolutionary thought and practice has been the primary context for my teaching work since 2004. Hundreds of books, conferences, seminars, meet-up groups, salons, articles, and blogs contribute to the integral evolutionary conversation. Here I only mention a handful of the most prominent and influential organizations.
- Integral Life (integrallife.com) is a membership organization that is also the primary web portal (alongside kenwilber.com) for the public work of the integral community associated with Ken Wilber. It offers a wealth integral resources and educational and personal development programs online, and it periodically offers major in-person gatherings for members of the international integral community. It publishes or produces most of the US-based projects formerly organized by the Integral Institute.
- MetaCapital (metacapital.net) founded by Sean Esbjörn-Hargens, is an alliance of three organizations—a training academy, a consulting firm, and a philanthropic think tank. It has sponsored four Integral Theory Conferences, publishes the Journal of Integral Theory and Practice, and offers rigorous educational and personal development programs.
- Since 2014, the Integral European Conferences (integraleuropeanconference.com) have become the main gatherings in Europe for the global integral community. But centers for integral thought, culture, and practice exist in many European countries, particularly Germany, where the Integrales Forum (integralesforum.org) has been active for well over a decade.
- The Institute for Cultural Evolution (ICE) (culturalevolution.org) is discussed under Transpartisan Initiatives.
- The Center for Human Emergence (humanemergence.org) founded by Don Beck, co-author of Spiral Dynamics, is a global facilitator for conscious evolution with centers in the US, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Germany, and has also worked actively in the Middle East, Mexico, and South Africa.
- On The Daily Evolver (dailyevolver.com and on Facebook), Jeff Salzman regularly shines an integral light on current events in politics and culture through the lens of Wilber’s integral theory.
- The Foundation for Conscious Evolution was founded by futurist, speaker, author, educator, and visionary Barbara Marx Hubbard. She has articulated a new worldview of “conscious evolution” for almost 50 years, and the Foundation’s initiatives extend her efforts. FCE’s stated mission is to educate people in the worldview of Conscious Evolution and how to apply it in their lives, personally and socially; and to network, connect and align individuals and groups, making visible the vast movement for positive change that is arising everywhere, and to further cooperate toward our common goal of a compassionate, sustainable future. Learn more here.
- Integral Evolutionary Educational Programs are offered quite widely. I list just a few here:
- Integral degree programs have been offered by John F. Kennedy University (jfku.org) and the Fielding Institute (fielding.edu). The California Institute of Integral Studies(ciis.edu) offers a wide range of holistic higher educational programs. Meridian University (meridianuniversity.edu) offers integral education in its graduate programs, and a leadership and social transformation program led by its chancellor, Jean Houston. Ubiquity University (ubiquity.university.org) offers undergraduate and graduate programs in liberal arts, psychology, and the pursuit of wisdom.
- Integral Coaching Canada (integralcoachingcanada.com) has developed a rigorous coaching method built around the core distinctions of integral theory.
- Pacific Integral (pacificintegral.com), founded in 2004 by Geoff Fitch, Terri O’Fallon, and others, offers integral evolutionary programs and consulting services focused on generating transformative change in human systems.
- Next Step Integral (nextstepintegral.com), a partnership between SIFCO’s Stephan Martineau and his wife Miriam Mason Martineau, offers online courses on Integral Parenting and Integral Education.
- Ten Directions (tendirections.com) offers certification programs in integral facilitation with Sensei Diane Musho Hamilton and online trainings in personal development, coaching, and influence taught by her and Rob McNamara.
- Integral Academy Hungary (integralacademy.eu) founded by Integral Eupropen Conference organizer Bence Ganti, trains and certifies psychotherapists, counselors and coaches.
- ID Academy Denmark (idacademy.dk) founded by Ole Vadum Dahl trains and certifies psychotherapists and coaches and teaches Essential Life Practice.
- Academic journals:
- General interest publications:
- Emerge-Bewusstseinkulture Magazin [Emerge: A Magazine of Consciousness and Culture] (emerge-bewusstseinskultur.de) contributes important original leading-edge thought and dialogue to the big questions asked in this book.
- Kosmos: Journal for Social Transformation (kosmosjournal.org), founded by Nancy Roof, probably contains the most dynamic popular integral evolutionary articles in printed form in English.
- The Cosmos Coop (cosmos.coop) is described in chapter 8, and is both a publication and a community. It continues to express and further develop the dynamic intellectual inquiry that can still be found on Beams and Struts (beamsandstruts.com).
From Integral Without Borders by Gail Hochachka: Sustainability will not be achieved if it remains at a small scale. Although very localized efforts count--they shine a light towards what is possible--they do need to scale up to a broader impact if they are to indeed...
From Greenmode by Simon Divecha: Over the past 5 years I’ve been involved with a delightful group diving into traditionally stuck health system problems. This work is creating holistic positive change assisting individual developmental grown and answering...
From A New Republic of the Heart by Terry Patten: My friend Stephan Martineau moved in 1992 to the Slocan Valley, a beautiful Canadian mountain valley with a diverse community of about six thousand people. The social landscape included First Nations voices; a...
Sometimes the reality of our current situation sinks in. What do we do when we are confronted by the startling and challenging statistical realities. "My denial of our ecological predicament was punctured when I reviewed the evidence, as interpreted primarily by...
A new republic of the heart is coming into being spontaneously, naturally, sprouting through the “cracks in everything” - cracks through which light gets in to a fragmenting - and paradoxically globalising at the same time - world. Here we list just a few of the...
While some attempts at transpartisanship in the USA (such as No Labels) are well known, a wide variety of transpartisan initiatives are advancing on many different fronts. Living Room Conversations (livingroomconversations.org) founded by a lifelong Democrat and a...
From the very rich and broad world of progressive activism, addressing issues of economic, political, gender, and racial justice, I list only a few very general progressive initiatives here. Meanwhile many good people are working around the system through conservative...
Humans are a lot more than our brains. Here are just a few of the organisations that are researching and helping people to enable fuller capabilities. The HeartMath Institute has pioneered research validating and legitimizing the intelligence of the heart, which is so...
Organisations for growth, healing development, expansive and deep thinking and feeling abound. There are just a few of the many such organisations featured below. Esalen Institute (esalen.org) is a retreat center and intentional community founded in 1962 by Michael...
Lets gather and share the great, simple, emotionally powerful stories that describe our human journey and call higher human potentials from us. For example, The Great Transitions project was conceived and directed by Duane Elgin (duaneelgin.com) in partnership with...
We are all learning
A core of the New Republic of the Heart is an engagement in the ‘many to many’ transmission. There are multiple individuals and groups that are cascading concepts, explicitly and implicitly, aligned to those described on this site. You’ll find stories, videos, pictures and more on how we’re all developing and being developed here.
How complete are these resources?
This is a very partial list, reflecting our imperfect memories and the limits of my personal experience in privileged USA – the reality it points to is MUCH larger. We are already expanding this online version. And none of them (even our own projects) reflects all the ideals, values and the ultimate vision of “a new republic of the heart.”
What has been included in the resources section?
This only lists initiatives that are consciously attempting to enact cultural transformation. Equally valuable dimensions of a new republic of the heart, however, are the much larger number of efforts that embody the health and wholeness and caring character of human culture—not only the international relief workers, as important as they are, but also local churches and charities and other good works; nurses and doctors and teachers and social workers and firefighters and emergency medical technicians and other first responders; the farmers and technicians; the workers and entrepreneurs; and the countless community builders and leaders who keep re-weaving the social fabric.
Help me understand the scope
When the body (or body politic) is under siege, what restores well-being is not just the immune system, but also the vastly larger number of cells that just keep pumping the blood and lymph and nerve impulses, sustaining life and health. They are not listed here, but I want to acknowledge and appreciate the widest possible spectrum of the broad and ultimately universal emergence of a new republic of the heart.